

**Transcription ICANN Dublin
Thursday 22 October 2015
GNSO Wrap-Up Session**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

On page: <http://gns0.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#oct>
The transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page

Volker Greimann: Welcome everyone to this GNSO council wrap-up session on this 54th ICANN in Dublin. I would like to start the proceedings with a roll call. My name is Volker Greimann. Glenn, would you please?

Glenn DeSaintgery: (Sidney Volker), Keith Drazek, not yet here, Donna Austin.

Donna Austin: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Rubens Kuhl.

Rubens Kuhl: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: James Bladel.

James Bladel: Here.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Jennifer Standiford.

Jennifer Standiford: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Volker Greimann.

Volker Greimann: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Hsu Phen Valerie Tan.

Hsu Phen Valerie Tan: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Phil Corwin.

Phil Corwin: In the room.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Susan Kawaguchi.

Susan Kawaguchi: Here.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Paul McGrady.

Paul McGrady: Here.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Heather Forrest.

Heather Forrest: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Tony Harris.

Tony Harris: Here.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Wolf-Ulrich Knoben. I believe Wolf-Ulrich is at another meeting. Marilia Maciel.

Marilia Maciel: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Amr El Sadr.

Amr El Sadr: Here.

Glenn DeSaintgery: David Cake.

David Cake: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Edward Morris.

Edward Morris: Here.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Stefania Milan.

Stefania Milan: Here.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Stephanie Perrin.

Stephanie Perrin: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Johan Julf.

Johan Julf: Here.

Glenn DeSaintgery: (Unintelligible).

Man: Thank you.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Carlos Gutierrez.

Carlos Gutierrez: Present.

Glenn DeSaintgery: Mason Cole.

Mason Cole: Here.

Glenn DeSaintgery: And we do not have either of the liaisons I believe, (unintelligible), Olivier Crepin-LeBlond or Patrick Myles. Thank you very much, Volker, and over to you.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. As you have probably realize, we do not have a proper chair for this session and going forward, as a result of last night's - afternoon's election, the contracted parties house has nominated me as co-chair, as vice chair to the council and, therefore, as per the rules of the GNSO, I am currently, together with the yet to be named or nominated vice chair of the non-contracted party's house, dictator for life - sorry...

((Crosstalk))

Volker Greimann: Acting co-chair and I would hope and suggest that the non-contracted parties house do nominate someone quickly so you don't have to do this all by myself going forward. And I'm a bit unprepared, and - for this session - for this role as I didn't expect to be taking this position, and I haven't had the benefit of one of those wonderful ICANN leadership program trainings.

I've asked staff to come from the end of the table to the front of the table to be able to assist me and help me if there're any procedural things that need to be cleared up.

So staff, on my left, and I've also asked my former co - vice chair, David Cake to join me here at the front of the table just to be sure that the non-contracted party's house is also represented even though I will try to make this as neutral as possible, I am not used to this yet.

We have an agenda today. The first item of this is results from yesterday's proceedings. We will have to discuss the upcoming chair elections. There is a process for this. I would like to remind everyone that while the proceedings have not occurred in this form or shape, prior to last - yesterday's election, this has been foreseen in the bylaws.

The council, therefore, is running smoothly. We have procedures for this. This is business as usual as far as I'm concerned. For the upcoming chair elections, there is a deadline for nominations which is 5th of November.

Each house will be allowed to nominate one candidate each for the GNSO council chair. These nominations may include previously nominated candidates. The candidate for the GNSO council chair doesn't need to be a member of the house but must be a member of the GNSO council.

And after the nominations have occurred, and election for the new nominees will be rescheduled for a time no sooner than 30 days after the unsuccessful runoff ballots which was yesterday, i.e., no sooner than Friday the 20th of November. This means that the next Council session, which is scheduled for the 19th of November, will still be provided by, by the vice co-chairs.

In the event that the GNSO council has not elected a GNSO council chair by the end of the previous (term) as per the bylaws, the vice chairs will serve as interim co-chairs, so that's the title until successful elections can be held. And I'm glad that we can do this - that I can do this at this point. Yes. Any comments to this? Please go ahead.

Man: Yes, this is really a question, but I guess we're talking about runoff ballots and not ballet, right?

Volker Greimann: Yes, that's correct.

Man: Okay, thank you.

Volker Greimann: This results in a few action items for us. The council needs to decide on a deadline for candidate statements. I would propose it should be closely after the nominations. I would propose no longer than a week, but of course, I'm open to - we're open to suggestions here. So if any comments on that topic are forthcoming, click to hear it. Stephane.

Stephane Van Gelder: Thanks, Volker. Stephane Van Gelder. Is this on? I just wanted to really say two things. The first is that as a formal GN- as a former, not formal GNSO council chair, I share the disappointment that has been expressed by some in the community of what happened yesterday.

But I think we have to try and look forward to what we can build in a constructive manner from what happened yesterday. And one of the things that I'd like us as the community to think about, is making sure that the council, as an entity, has a kind of collegial identity that they'd adopt that was perhaps missing from the proceedings that we saw yesterday.

I - talking to many people afterwards on the council, most expressed surprise before the expressed dismay at what happened which means that most people felt blindsided by what happened. And I find that difficult to understand if you're all functioning as a group that you get to these elections after spending a week together and no one is expecting the outcome and the outcome surprises everybody.

It almost feels like you're not talking to each other. So, you know, when I was chair of the council, one of the things I was very adamant that should happen is that the council had a strong identity and that counselors, the leadership team and the counselors defended that identity.

I would urge you, going forward, to go back to that. Defend your identity. You are a group of people elected by your communities. They trust you to do the best for this community.

So I know you are accountable to your communities but I would like to suggest that, as a group, you also become accountable to ourselves and have that sense of identity that will allow you to work together as a group, as the GNSO council before being stumped by outside influences that prevent you from doing that. Thanks.

Volker Greimann: Thank you, Stephane for this contribution. I think it's something to consider. However, we have decided that a discussion of the - yesterday's events should best be held for the council development session tomorrow when we will have enough time to talk to each other and go to the finer points of yesterday's events. Today should be the wrap up session that should be business as usual, looking forward to what - the future of the council.

Tony Harris: Yes, this is Tony Harris. I'd like to thank the comments that we just received as an incoming counselor and I would also point out that electoral proceedings are fraught with disappointments at least in my experience. Thank you.

Volker Greimann: Thank you, Tony. So going back to the agenda, the deadline of - (Unintelligible), sorry. I didn't see you there.

Man: Thank you. Not making any comments in addition to that, just a procedural question. So I understand - so the vice chairs to be nominated and going to lead the council during the interim period. Would be possible also that just only one vice chairs going to leave that inn case the other is not available? A question.

Volker Greimann: Well, the bylaws, as I understand them, for see that two vice chairs are nominated by - one of which is nominated by each house so there would be two. Currently we only have one nomination by the non-contracted party's house, i.e., me, and as I said, initially I would welcome the non-contracted

party's house to speed up there selection process so that we a council - a chair of two, so to speak, so two co-chairs very quickly.

So that, going forward, maybe even into the next council meeting on the 19th of November, we already have the two co-chairs in place. Any objections to my suggestion of having a deadline for the candidate statements one week after the deadline for nominations?

None. I would see that as the going proposal then. Marika, can you make a note of that, that that should be then and send out a reminder to the list once the nominations are closed?

We will have to decide on the time and date for the Q&A session and we will have to decide on the time and date for the runoff ballots. The procedure for the runoff ballots are also something that the council has not seen before.

As we will not be - in all likelihood, the meeting in face-to-face presence, so we will have to resort to an online vote unless we want to post on this for - until the Marrakesh meeting of which I am not a big fan for understandable reasons. I would, therefore, open the floor to any suggestions, any ideas, any comments and let's try to make this work. Marika.

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. So I think both on the date as well as the - how the ballot is conducted, I think the questions are probably closely linked because there are a couple of ways, at least from a staff perspective, how the ballot could be conducted.

We could run it in a similar way as you do for your stakeholder group and constituency elections. I think Glenn has a system by which she sends out ballots. Those come back and then Glenn reports the results back to the council.

And that would include, as well, you know, if there's a second round, taking care of a second round. You can also think of having a special meeting or as part of a normal council meeting live vote where each member is called out and asked to cast their vote.

Or Adobe Connect allows a mechanism to vote within Adobe Connect and that can either be done anonymously or openly. So I think there are couple of ways in which that could be done, but I think it's probably linked to also the question on how much time do you think should pass before we have the next round?

Should it be immediately following the 30 days as prescribed in the operating procedures which is a minimum? And in that case, you know, is it worth considering moving the current council meeting that is scheduled for 19 November maybe to that Friday or immediately that week after so it's combined.

And you may think those two things should be kept separate, so a separate meeting maybe scheduled if you think it should be done in a meeting. So I think there are a couple of questions here that you need to answer as a council so we can plan for the next round of elections.

Volker Greimann: Marika, I have a follow-up question to that. Is there anything preventing us from deciding on the time and date for the runoff ballot, the Q&A sessions and the way it's conducted on the development session tomorrow?

Marika Konings: This is Marika. No, I don't think there is. I think it's just a requirement - if we would need to schedule a special meeting, I think there is a requirement. I believe it's 14 days, that there needs to be 14 days advance notice should the special council meeting be scheduled but that's still in line with - as we have to wait anyway for 30 days so there shouldn't be an issue to either decided tomorrow or in the course of next week.

Volker Greimann: Stephanie then David.

Stephanie Perrin: Yes, Stephanie Perrin for the record. Just for complete clarity, because these things are mystery to me, we could continue under (Volker) as (unintelligible) for quite some time and process business normally and approved the PDP's and everything? Fine. Thank you. Oh, well, Marika, if you'd like to elaborate, that would be great.

Marika Konings: No, that is correct. That is my understanding, as it is specifically foreseeing that the vice chairs will serve as interim GNSO co-chairs and it's nowhere written that that means that anything changes compared to having an elected chair. Although I'm not sure Volker would be so happy to have that continuing for too long.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. You're scaring me here. David.

David Cake: All I wanted to say is I've used another online voting system called Open Vote in a very similar situation and found it very - sounded excellent, so.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. Just one thing that Marika mentioned just earlier that there is, of course, the possibility of postponing the upcoming council meeting. I would caution against that simply to show that the council is not affected by yesterday's election and I think we have procedures in place that might - well, that you foresee - for yesterday's results.

So having a post woman of the next council meeting could be seen as the council not treating this is business as usual which I would very strongly suggest we do.

All right, I think that covers this topic. Unless there's a very strong feeling either way to postpone the council meeting, I would suggest that, indeed, we decide on the questions that we have to decide at tomorrow's session. We will have enough time for that and I think the session is well-timed for the

questions that we have the answer there and we'll be able to find a solution there.

Moving on, thank you, (Lars). Next item on the agenda is the volunteers or new liaisons that will have to be confirmed as we have certain council members that have left us. Certain positions have become open to that will have to be filled again.

First, on this, is the standing committee on improvements implementations. The liaison function has been fulfilled quite aptly by our departed - dearly departed Avri Doria. Sorry, I had to do it. Do we have any volunteers for this (slot)? I see a rush. Marika.

Marika Konings: Yes, this is Marika. If I could maybe remind everyone what the role of the liaison is. So the role of the liaison is really to be able, like, if a group, in this case, a standing committee, as any questions for the council, it is able to take this back to the council, as well as the council should have any questions about the workings of the group or discussions, that that person is able to take that back.

And typically the liaison also serves the role of when recommendations come back to the council, there's a person that is been in a position to make the motion, and as well, speak about the issues.

There's no requirement for a liaison to be on every single meeting or, you know, to be there all the time and be very engaged in the conversations. There are no limitations on that either. So just want to make clear that it's, you know, a role that's really as a liaison between the two entities as necessary.

And then most of the time, there's not a lot of necessity because, of course, regular updates are provided to the council in the form of the project list as well as updates that are provided during the ICANN meetings. Just looking

through the list, I mean, I think the liaison to (unintelligible) is always a little bit different. I don't know if (Thomas) is here.

He may be able to explain a little bit what his role entails. That may require a little bit more time because I think typically what - yes, maybe can explain a bit so people know, as well, and I think as Volker said, we, of course, would like to fill these I think as soon as possible.

But if people are not willing it to put up their hands, you may as well take the opportunity to speak to some of the people that are involved in these groups so we have a better understanding of what it entails, as well as hearing from formal liaisons, you get an idea, as well, of what time commitment it may require.

(Thomas): I wouldn't have expected to come back to the table so soon. But actually the ccNSO's - or the role of the liaison is basically to offer information in cases where this ccNSOs has questions about where we are in the GNSO and vice versa.

The - what I can say is that they are holding monthly telephone conferences which are usually shorter than the telephone conferences that we have. They have a mailing list which is not - which doesn't have as much traffic as ours.

And so I would say that the work of this is very manageable and I think it's good to have that constant feedback. You know, sometimes we - you know, at the moment, the main - one of the bigger topics for them is the (unintelligible) transition as well.

So I spoke at their meetings to this topic, but apart from that, it's just good to be in sync because I - in the previous years we haven't always made the best out of both council's time when we met. As I think there's, you know, manageable results required. Big value.

Volker Greimann: Thank you, (Thomas). You think you're out, then they pull you back in. Okay, we have a queue forming which is - currently stands at Amr, then Wolf-Ulrich, then Rudi.

Amr Elsadr: This is Amr. Wolfe Ulrich raised his hand, no? All right, because I was actually going to say from a practical perspective in terms of the council liaison to the SCI, it would be helpful for counselors to know which council members are actually on the SCI.

As far as I know, right now it's just me and Wolfe Ulrich. I'm not sure there's anyone else from counsel. Oh, yes, can an alternate member of the SCI service a consul liaison? I'm not sure. Okay, so then David would also be an option.

But actually, the point I wanted to make, first of all I - Wolfe Ulrich does have experience being the liaison, the council liaison to the SCI. You weren't? I thought you were before Avri was. No? All right, yes, he was.

I just wanted to point out that the NCUC still hasn't had its annual elections. It's going to have those in November. Most of our - most of the executive committee members are term limited so were going to have a brand-new executive committee.

And then we will have a reappointment of the SCI represent- or the constituency representation on the SCI. So David and I might not be there for too long, so I was going to try to volunteer Wolfe Ulrich for the job if he's agreeable. But I think I raise my hand before he did, so he can go next.
Thanks.

Volker Greimann: Thank you, Amr, and seeing that Wolfe Ulrich is next think you, he can retort.

Wolfe Ulrich: Yes, Wolfe speaking, interesting, Amr. Well, just formally, I have never been - or had a role as a liaison. I used to be the first chair of the SCI and in this

capacity, I was the only one - since I was a council member, to report back to the council.

An official liaison was just in - put in place after my term. I would also just say, we have three members, (alternative) members on that. And I prefer to put in new blood, not me. So that is - just to be (frankly) here, in that respect.

It's not a big shot. It's not a big task to do so. I wouldn't refrain to say that Amr is a very active member of that, and he has a really good standing in this committee. And if he would be able to volunteer and do that, I would be very happy. I think - I'm very much - I think others would be as well, so thank you.

Volker Greimann: Thank you, Wolfe Ulrich. So we now have two candidates nominating each other. Rudi, you want to chip in the third name?

Rudi Vansnick: Rudi for the transcript. No, I'm the actual vice chair of the standing committee and up until now, we have never been eaten or beaten somebody so don't be afraid to join. It's not that we're aggressive.

The very interesting committee because we are working on quite different issues and, indeed, I would say with the competence that I know from Amr, he would be really a good follow-up of Avri because you have to have quite a lot of knowledge of the procedures and the legal stuff of the GNSO in order to be able to have that discussion in the standing committee.

And I'm looking forward for having the new (council) liaison joining the team, as probably - as they propose me to be the next chair for 2016 for the standing committee. I'm always willing to have a discussion review on what we're doing and what the goals are.

Volker Greimann: Amr, I know you want to come back to, but David was in front of you in the queue, so I'm going to...

David Cake: I did want to speak about the SCI, so...

Volker Greimann: So...

David Cake: All I wanted to say was I would like to remain on the GAC GNSO consultation group. While I'll be no longer there is a co-chair, I would like to remain there as a council.

Volker Greimann: Fair enough. Amr.

Amr Elsadr: Okay, thanks. This is Amr again. I see that beating Wolfe Ulrich to raising my hand first hasn't done me much good. But I'm fine serving as liaison for now, at least tentatively, until I know whether I'm staying on the committee are not. And then if I am replaced, then I supposed the GNSO council will have to consider a replacement for me as liaison. So thanks.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. So we have a volunteer. Does anybody disagree with Amr taking over that role as liaison? See no objections, congratulations. Just to add to this, personally I served as a liaison now on I think two working groups, and on the latter, I was not an active participant.

So the liaison function very much only resulted in me having to follow the discussions of the working group loosely and knowing where the working group's positions were and at the end of the working group, making the motion to the council.

So it really does not have to be a lot of work. I would encourage any counselor to take that role. It's a very interesting position as well. The next that we have on our schedule is the GAC GNSO consultation group membership.

Man: (Unintelligible).

Volker Greimann: Can we do this after this? All right, then we have a photo session planned.

Man: I'm sorry everybody. It's now or never. It's beyond my powers. Trust me. I've tried a lot. So over going to do is stay - everybody stay seated on that side for sure. So what we're doing is Rubens is on the end and then the other side who's at the end - Donna.

There are two or three chairs that are still available. If you just move across and whoever wants to sit in this chairs, take those two chairs. And the others stand behind those were sitting at the table. And that's how we're going to take the picture.

So if the guys that are sitting at the table, if you could take your cups down and the Sprite down, you can put it under the table, is fine, or somewhere. And if you can do this as quickly as possible, that would be great.

Man: This is going to be spread all over the Web for the world to see, so smile.

Man: Just into the camera and not...

((Crosstalk))

Volker Greimann: And now we continue as if this never happened. We have a very active in very important consultation group that - which is the GAC with the GNSO. There has been some important work coming out of that and I think a lot of progress between the GAC and the GNSO relationships.

Jonathan Robinson has graciously agreed to continue in this function, so - and so has David Cake, so we really have to replace two members of that group. It's a close group so the members will have to be nominated by this house. Brian Winterfeldt and Avri Doria are leaving the cou- have left the council, and therefore, will have to be replaced. Any volunteers for this? This is...

Man: Could you describe the function of this group. That's the GAC council...

Volker Greimann: I think David could probably describe this best because he has been on that group from the beginning.

David Cake: Yes, so this was a group - its function is essentially to try and get the GAC and the GNSO work better together which has - is been a number of initiatives suggested through it.

A lot of it is trying to work out how the GAC can best interact with GNSO PDP process, which the GAC traditionally found difficult, but (unintelligible) mechanisms.

Of course, it was this group that came up with a suggestion for the pilot program to have a GNSO liaison to the GAC, and basically suggested that idea, though, with the GNSO leadership that selected (Mason) specifically to do it.

We also have - the GAC - we've (brought in) the quick look mechanism with the GAC where they, you know, very early in the PDP process will take a look at it and tell us whether they believe it has public policy implications and is, therefore, likely to have significant GAC involvement or not.

Mostly there's an informal or relatively light process that we worked on. But basically we just talk about how the GAC and the GNSO can work better together and come up with a bunch of...

Phil Corwin: Well, I don't want to - is this is something that has to be elected by my side or the other side, I don't want to jump the gun but I have been acting as co-chair of the working group on curative rights processes for IGOs for the past year and that's involved some need for interchange with the GAC and working with Mason Cole as the GAC GNSO liaison.

It's really been the first project on which that function has been employed. So I don't want to put myself in the position, I think, I'm gathering has to be done by my side of the house but I want to publicly express my willingness to serve in that position if the non-contracted side would find that appropriate.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. And as you can see from the membership, there has been no division between non-contracted and contracted parties. There has been a predominance of non-contracted parties but that was by design.

There can be - anyone who volunteers can be on that committee. It's just that we need to confirm the members to the GAC and then not change them after the fact all the time.

Phil Corwin: Well, then I missed - I such implied there was some election necessary to fill this.

Volker Greimann: No, we confirm volunteers and we try to keep those people that are on it, on it and not exchange all the time. So it's - to the GAC, we have a bit of a stability going there.

Phil Corwin: I am willing to volunteer and I think this is an important area where we need improved working relationships with the GAC to better integrate them as best that can be done in the policy development process.

Volker Greimann: Thank you, Phil. I have a queue which is Paul, Amr and then Marika.

Paul McGrady: Paul McGrady. Since I have taken up the seat that (Brian) filled for - so wonderfully for us for four years - (Brian) served on this group and I would like to volunteer to take his place in that group as well. And I will do my best to do a great job. I know that (Brian) would - he's right over there. I'll volunteer him to help coach me. Thank you.

Volker Greimann: Thank you, Paul. That makes two volunteers. Amr.

Amr Elsadr: Thanks, Volker. This is Amr. Yes, I just wanted to, again, go over very briefly, with this group does. This is a - the formal title of the group I believe is the GAC GNSO consultation group on GAC early engagement in the GNSO processes. So that's really what we do. We have six members from the GNSO council and six members...

Man: Good afternoon everyone. It's half past...

Amr Elsadr: This is from the GAC. And the purpose of the group is to sort of help the GAC develop their own internal processes that would allow them to engage at an early stage throughout the GNSO process as opposed to simply engaging at the very end of the forum for example of GAC advice to the ICANN Board.

Right now we've basically over - since the beginning we've gone through the issue scoping phase. We're about to start working on the actual PDP phase and keep moving forward accordingly. So yes, it would be really helpful to have a diverse group of folks who have experienced working with the GNSO and try to help on that group.

I also wanted to point out one more thing is that even in the absence of Avri, we already have two NCSG members on this group. So I think it might be a good idea to not appoint any more NCSG Councilors to the group and perhaps get folks from other stakeholder groups. Thanks.

Volker Greimann: Thank you Amr. Marika.

Marika Konings: Thanks Volker. Just to add onto what Amr was saying that the group is really I think moving towards the end phase of its work. The remaining work that is it still has is looking at some of the remaining phases of the policy development process and identify there what kind of mechanisms could be

introduced or piloted to facilitate early engagement and participation of the GAC.

The group is also looking at reviewing the GNSO liaison to the GAC mechanism as well as the (quicklook) mechanism, which is already being piloted. So those are some of the remaining work items that the group is currently dealing with.

The group was meeting initially on a every two week basis. We actually had to cancel quite a few of the meetings during the last period because of the work going on in relation to accountability and the transition.

But I think the hope is that we may be able to restart the group shortly after this meeting to wrap up and work and hopefully be in a position by (unintelligible) to kind of hopefully finalize some of the work although I think there's an understanding that some of the work may need to be reviewed at some point in time.

So maybe there's (room or) scope for this group to stay in existence in some shape or form to be able to do that or maybe there's been some mechanism that could be applied for that such as the regular GAC/GNSO leadership meetings that are currently happening as well in preparation for ICANN meetings.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. And then I have - oh Keith, you lowered your hand. Okay. So do we go ahead and nominate those two volunteers that we do have? As I see no other hands springing up volunteering for this, I would suggest that we do. And then ask staff to communicate the replacements oh that sounds bad, the new volunteers to GAC.

So we have Phil Corwin and Paul McGrady as the new members of the GAC - the GAC/GNSO consultation group. The next slot we will have to fill is the

GNSO Council liaison to the ccNSO, which has currently been filled by Thomas Rickert.

This is probably the most time consuming of all the liaisons because usually the GNSO liaison is expected to attend the ccNSO meetings and therefore be able to report back to us just as the ccNSO liaison to our Council is usually expected to be here. Keith, I see your hand up.

Keith Drasek: Thank you very much Volker. Keith Drasek. I will put up my hand and volunteer for this slot. I actually in a previous life in the ICANN community served on the ccNSO Council. And so I've got some familiarity with that group and would be happy to volunteer to do on behalf of the GNSO Council if - particularly if there's no other interest. Thanks.

Volker Greimann: Thank you Keith. It sounds we have a very qualified volunteer. Any others? Any objections to Keith taking that role? You are hereby confirmed as the new Council liaison.

And then we have the CWG stewardship group liaison, which has also been Jonathan Robinson. This group is as far as I've been informed currently in its stages of wrapping up. So Marika can probably tell me if Jonathan also agreed to continue in this role or if we need a new liaison for the short time that this group remains active.

Marika Konings: This is Marika. I haven't specifically confirmed that with him but I know he's staying on as the co-Chair as far as I know. And I think the question is indeed is there anyone else wanting to take on the role or are people comfortable with, you know, inviting Jonathan back whenever there's a need for an update or for him coming back when he thinks there's a need to raise certain issues.

Volker Greimann: For formal reason it appears to me that the liaison needs to be a Councilor and therefore even though the group is on the active for a - will only be -

remain active for a short amount of time, we would have to appoint a liaison. This would be a very short role. Come on guys, girls. Donna, are you volunteering or do you want to suggest someone.

Donna Austin: In the absence of anybody else and because I'm on the CWG, I'm happy to volunteer to be the liaison.

Volker Greimann: That's very gracious of you. Thank you very much. So we have this topic closed. We have a liaison for everything. I thank you very much for your cooperation.

The next issue that we have on our docket is the volunteer to draft a response to the GAC communique. This is very much community and I say community as the Council community here. Community work while we have one volunteer, which I think in the - with the last communique was (David).

I think it's - it benefits us all that the Council works together on this. We need one volunteer of course to hold the pen and analyze together with staff the GAC communique that has already been published.

Analyze the policy implications of that communique where detail, where policy development would likely be necessary, where policy development's already occurring or has already occurred and therefore inform the Board of what the impact on the policy process and the policy work that has gone on, is going on and may very well go on in the future in the GNSO is and report that back to the Board.

Is anybody volunteering to hold that pen? I know you have all just been eating and area now quite sated. But any volunteers? Stephanie. Any objections to Stephanie leading that? Seeing none.

Stephanie Perrin: Stephanie for the record. Just a clarification. I won't be leading. Staff will be leading. I'll be following their direction.

Volker Greimann: Very well. That works. So basically the GAC communique has already been published and staff and Stephanie will get together and make a first analysis, post that to the mailing list for comments and then I hope we will have a lot of comments to perfect the result and then form - craft a document that we can forward to the Board prior to the next Council meeting so the Board is able to use our input in their deliberations of the GAC communique.

Finally, we have a bit of a pickle because we'll have to define who will work with staff on the schedule for the Marrakech meeting. This has traditionally been the function of one of the Vice Chairs. Hello. Yes.

I have been the Vice Chair holding the pen - well, having the pen led by staff for this meeting. I would be very glad if somebody else could do it for the next meeting.

But as we do not have - currently have any Vice Chairs, I don't think there's a rule that requires this to be (other) Vice Chairs. So any Councilor can take this - or the opportunity influence the way that the Council sessions are being held.

It mainly involves liaising with the AC Constituency Chairs on planning for the next meeting liaising with staff on the topics that are being raised for example with the (unintelligible) with Fadi. We'll still be there at that meeting and with (Teresa) and other staff members that we may want to have at our meeting.

It's a very rewarding work. I think it's very interesting because it helps formulate the entire agenda of this week and it makes or breaks the success of this - the Council sessions. Amr and Marika are in the queue. Amr, go ahead.

Amr Elsadr: Thanks. This is Amr. (James) seems to think that because I am from the region and living there that this somehow qualifies me to take up this task. So

I'll go ahead and volunteer to work with staff on preparing the schedule for the Marrakech meeting if no one else wants the job. Thanks. If no one else wants the job.

Volker Greimann: Thank you very much.

Amr Elsadr: Just to clarify, I was thinking of the dinner, the important part.

Volker Greimann: Yes. Exactly. Because the dinner is usually organized or at least confirmed by a member that's closest to the region. And therefore having someone local would be very beneficial. Thank you for your volunteering for this. Marika.

Marika Konings: Yes. This is Marika. I just wanted to mention as well that of course, you know, staff is there as well to help and work with the draft. And, you know, we - I will set up as well another survey so people can fill in and make their suggestions for the next meeting. So those should also help in that planning.

I just wanted to note that that second bullet point is actually something that came out of the weekend session where I mean traditionally there has actually been more as a GNSO Council planning and, you know, between staff and the GNSO Council leadership discussion.

But I think over the weekend it was also suggested that it would be helpful to actually involve or engaged with the stakeholder group and constituency chairs or whoever is responsible in those different groups for scheduling so we can try to do our best to avoid conflict as much as we can as we've noticed that there are more and more sessions that are being organized by stakeholder groups and constituencies that are directly in conflict with GNSO working group sessions or GNSO updates.

So I think that's an additional element we're adding here and hopefully will also help us prepare the other elements of the new meeting strategy that will take place next year and put a kind of mechanism in place that will allow us to

do that in a more effective and smooth way. And thank you for volunteering Amr.

Volker Greimann: I see further volunteers down at the (line over there). Who wants to go first? Phil? (Susan).

(Susan): Well, I was just going to volunteer to help Amr. If you want to do this together and...

Amr Elsadr: I would love to. Thank you (Susan).

(Susan): Okay. But I don't want to do it - don't back out.

Volker Greimann: I just confirmed with staff that there is no problem with that. So the more volunteers we have the better. Phil, do you also want to join?

Phil Corwin: Well, not on volunteering but in regard to the Marrakech meeting and this is not a concern I've had only in regard to Marrakech though it is one that several people at this meeting have raised with me and confiding in me that they were thinking seriously about whether or not they should attend that meeting.

We live in a very troubled world where very terrible things happen sometimes. We have open meetings where anyone can walk in with large backpacks and register under any name without any identification.

And I for one would like some briefing before the Marrakech meeting as to what the analysis is or the - I think this should be a standard practice for all ICANN meetings frankly, what the security analysis is and what steps without compromising in any way security are being taken with local law enforcement and other forces to guarantee security at these meetings. Let's not be naive about the world we live in.

Volker Greimann: Thank you Phil. I think that's a very important issue. Personally I've also already checked the travel advisory of the German Foreign Ministry and found that Marrakech is probably comparatively safe. There's no travel warning out there at the moment.

But I think we would all benefit from a security update at the time of our next Council meeting, which is November or the Council meeting - maybe even the Council meeting just preceding the Marrakech meeting so we can all be informed on the current security situation on the ground. I think that makes sense. Marika, can you take that as an action item that we will ask for such a update? Amr.

Amr Elsadr: I'm sorry. I actually wasn't listening. I was (unintelligible). Could you repeat the question?

Volker Greimann: I think I will just move down the line so we can stay on topic and then come back to you.

Amr Elsadr: I'm sorry. It's an old hand.

Volker Greimann: Oh. Then we have Rubens and Paul.

Rubens Kuhl: Rubens Kuhl, nic.pr. I just want to comment that you already did an ICANN meeting at a city that was the place of a large-scale terrorist attack, which was London. And I haven't heard any one claim that oh, it's unsafe to do a (unintelligible) in London. So I just want to express my confusion on why is that.

Volker Greimann: I agree with you that that of course is probably drawing an unfair comparison. However, we have had a request for - we have had a request here at the Council, so. In order to allay the concerns that some on the Council that may have - some Councilors may have, I think we are best served to hear a

security update to maybe allay all fears or maybe determine if traveling to that location is the right choice.

I think it will not hurt to have that update. It will just be interesting to hear from us Councilors to determine if they can for example bring their families to such a place. Anyplace. Maybe we should even make that a standard procedure for upcoming ICANN meetings. Paul.

Paul McGrady: Paul McGrady. And I don't want to get engaged too far into the London question but just because we maybe are too naive about London doesn't make Marrakech safer. Right. And so I think we should be vigilant regardless of where we're going.

I know that you - Volker, you mentioned that the German travel warnings don't seem to be too much of a concern a less rosy approach is on the U.K. Web site now. It's worth the read. And so for what that's worth; as we get ready for the Marrakech meeting, I think we should just have our eyes open. Thank you.

Volker Greimann: Thank you Paul. Marilia.

Marilia Maciel: Thank you Volker. This is Marilia speaking. Actually I was just going to suggest what you exactly said. I think that it should be a standard procedure. Otherwise we will be just under the (unintelligible) of perceptions of what is dangerous and what is not.

And I think that these perceptions - I mean sometimes they help to reinforce you know, views of the world that we have - I mean I live in Rio. It's a pretty dangerous place for some people. It's not for me. I live there. So I mean let's just do it as a standard practice. I think it will be better for Councilors to be informed about security before they travel to any place. Thanks.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. I think we've been too many places that many would consider dangerous in the past. And if there's fear, I think the best way to address that is to have an update prior to that meeting. Maybe just in time to allow that anyone can have that for their travel. Make the travel planning dependent on that.

So having it at either the next Council meeting or the one after would be helpful for us. And let's see if we carry that forward for the meetings after that as well.

Moving on on the schedule. Just let me look at that. We have an action item that arises from the weekend sessions, which is that the Council should consider whether further actions or policy actions should be taken in relation to IDN variants at the second level - at the second level or as variant tables as they are not binding and might require a review of the IDN implementation guidelines.

I must admit I'm not an expert on that topic. So if anyone who is wants to take over for this and lead the discussion. Marika.

Marika Konings: Yes. This is Marika. Definitely not an expert on this topic but this is one of the items we picked up on the weekend session. But at the same time there's also a working group on the IDN implementation guidelines that has been recently formed to which actually has six GNSO representatives on it.

So it may be worth considering if people believes this is an issue or needs to be further considered that one of those or all of those representatives are invited to a future Council meeting to give an update and maybe identify whether they believe that there are any issues that may require Council work or attention at some point in the future.

Volker Greimann: Okay. Let's open this up for debate. Are there any comments? Donna.

Donna Austin: Thanks Volker. Donna Austin. I could support the approach that Marika has just outlined. I think we did go through a process to identify the GNSO representatives to the working group. And that's probably the best place to take this. Thanks.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. Do we have any form of feedback loop from those representatives to the Council so we can see if there's a - Marika, do we have some form of - yes please. Go ahead.

Edmon Chung: Hello. Edmon Chung here. So I'm on that group and I'm happy to help report back. And I'm actually not sure with all the changes whether the other five already have somebody from the Council.

But in any case, I'm happy to help report back at some intervals where it - I guess when things come up and when perhaps issues that this Council needs to especially pay attention to.

Marika Konings: Thank you Edmon. And seeing that you have been a dedicated reporter of these issues to the Council in the past, I would not object to that. Mary.

Mary Wong: Thanks Volker. And just a reminder that the six GNSO representatives include Edmon and so there's four from the registries, one from NPOC and one from the ISP Constituency.

I spoke with someone who gives the IDN update to the GNSO at every ICANN meeting and that's a standing item at the request both of the GNSO and the Board Variant Working Group.

So one suggestion was to fold that into the regular update and should the Council require or feel that more frequent updates are warranted as the work starts to go more intensive, then you can revisit the issue then.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. My only question is as - if I read the action item correctly is that we should consider whether further policy action is necessary beyond the activities that are already going on and therefore would request that.

If there's any concern about some critical issues being left out of the current work, then that'd be immediately reported so that we may base our decisions and our planning on that and engage in such further policy action and start that. Donna.

Donna Austin: Thanks Volker. Donna Austin. So again, this is either a question for Marika or perhaps Edmon. So what's the status of the working group and are they in a position to provide this in a timely manner? I don't - I'm not sure whether there's a timing requirement here.

Edmon Chung: Edmon Chung here. So we had our first kind of kickoff meeting here in Dublin mainly on a kind of a more administrative to figure out whether we want to have a leadership or not and some of the working process meetings and so on.

We set out for the next meeting to be a couple of weeks from now where we will start to look at the scope of the work that we want to take a look at. And I guess only from there we will get a better sense of the actual scope.

So this group is formed. I think it's looking at creating leadership. And then the first thing is to look at the scope. And that part we're looking to put it out to public comments as well and kind of (stop) taking up (about) the issues.

And before we go into substantive work - well, that's all substantial work. But before we go into solutions as in the implementation guidelines themselves, that's the very rough framework right now. So nothing really to report back but the group is starting to work on it.

Volker Greimann: Thank you very much Edmon. Seeing no further hands for this issue, I would like to move to the next point on our agenda, which is the Implementation Review Team for the INGO Working Group recommendations.

This is not to be confused with the still ongoing work that Phil has been reporting on, which is just dealing with the one issue that still needed clarification or was asked to be (dug) up from the recommendations.

So there's already a number of recommendations that are out there that have been approved that now will need implementation and therefore an Implementation Review Team has - is forming and volunteers for that are needed. Are there any volunteers from this Council at this stage?

Marika Konings: This is Marika. I think it's more specific for people with expertise operational side. So I think especially registrars I think are underrepresented. So we can maybe send a call for volunteers to those groups that currently don't have representation. So maybe you can encourage your respective groups to pay attention to this and hopefully identify some volunteers.

Volker Greimann: That was my misunderstanding. So basically I would ask the Councilors especially from the Contracted Parties House to go to their groups and make a call for volunteers in that group. Mary.

Mary Wong: It's always good to have more volunteers. This is Mary speaking for the transcript. If it will help, we currently have ten community volunteers on the IRT, four from the registries and six from the IPC. And the call for volunteers did go out to all the original members of the original PDP Working Group, some of which have volunteered for the IRT.

But looking at the composition, we just felt it might be helpful to highlight this for the Council and the GNSO to the extent that in the original PDP there was quite a lot of participation from other groups as well.

Volker Greimann: And seeing that implementation may already - may always also cause more work on the Contracted Parties House. Maybe they would like to reconsider their level of involvement in the re-Implementation Review Team to see that the operational impact can be minimized. That closes this topic.

And then it's my pleasure to move to the last topic on the agenda, which is the announcement of the Council development session, which starts tomorrow, Friday morning at 9:30 in Liffey Meeting Room 2. That's Liffey MR2. I think we will have a lot to talk about tomorrow. Marika.

Marika Konings: Yes. Just a note that the informal part already starts tonight at 8:00. So this meeting is only for incoming and outgoing Councilor members. So all the people in the room that is a closed session. And some of you have requested a potential change to the agenda. And I just wanted to note I'll be meeting with (Thomas) who will serve as the facilitator for this meeting this afternoon.

So please take a look on your - keep a look at your email because you may get an updated agenda, which may involve some changes around later this afternoon. But a dinner for tonight, that's - that is confirmed.

Volker Greimann: And coming to the dinner for tonight, that will be at 2000 hours for outgoing and incoming Councilors at (Woolen Mills). That's HTTP double - (thewoolenmills.com). We can probably post this link to the Adobe. The information - you got the email? Okay.

Woman: (Unintelligible).

Volker Greimann: Perfect. Paul.

Paul McGrady: Paul McGrady and I have already had a hallway conversation with (Thomas) about this. But I'm hoping that whatever changes we make to the agenda for tomorrow that we don't spend eight hours just focused only on yesterday. That a lot of us are staying an extra day. I'm personally missing a bar mitzvah

of a dear friend's son to be here tomorrow. So I know other people are missing things with their families and things like that.

So if tomorrow was supposed to be a bit of a rah rah session, I hope we keep that and that it is a bit of a rah rah session and we are, you know, we focus on positive things. And while clearly we have some issues to work through, I would really not like for us to spend our day focused only on the negative. Thank you.

Volker Greimann: Thank you Paul. This session is not designed to preempt for example the nomination periods that are going to happen in the next 15 days. This is just going to include now at this stage and analysis of what happened yesterday. Now - and (I let this off) the way forward. But it will not take the place of any of the processes that are designed to be taken within the stakeholder groups and constituencies.

So those will be unaffected. We will have a discussion of course to just explain to everyone what happened, what's going on. But the main drive of the Council session is still going to be the planning for the upcoming Council year and the induction of the new Councilors and - I hesitate to call it training but to improve the work that we are doing and enable us to act correctly and go forward with a positive spirit. Wolf Ulrich.

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben: Thank you. Wolf-Ulrich speaking. Yes. I also would like to underline because it's just the outgoing and incoming Councilors. So we have to discuss it on a (broader) - but a (unintelligible) (broader) scope is in the constituencies as well at this point.

Nevertheless, I personally have to excuse myself that I can't participate more in the meetings since I'm occupied by the ICG. We have also time to make more progress in our report.

Nevertheless, since that is also here in this building, the ICG meeting, I would if that allows me - I (unintelligible) over here to a the meeting during that discussion. So if you could - don't mind and could just put on the screen here the agenda what time is planned for the discussion about the elections and that would help me. Thank you.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. Keith, you have your hand up.

Keith Drasek: Thank you Volker. Keith Drasek. Yes. Same for me. I'm on the ICG with Wolf-Ulrich. So thank you.

Volker Greimann: Good to know. That's for informing us. Before I close the session, is there anything that anyone wants - likes - would like to bring to the attention of the Council? Any statements? Any final last issues that we may have forgotten? Any complaints about my chairing? Oh Stephanie.

Stephanie Perrin: Volker for the record - no, no. I guess I can't say that. Stephanie Perrin for the record. Just a question. There's quite a bit of buzz about our election issues.

Are we going to make a public statement about it or stop the discussion that is going on or - I mean obviously it's devoutly to be wished that we solve the whole thing tomorrow. But in the event that that doesn't happen, we'll all be going home and just leaving this in the air. Just a question.

Volker Greimann: That's a good question. I think everyone on this Council has thought about it. My personal - non-Chair personal impression of this was that we move ahead, show that the Council is working, show that this is business as usual, follow procedure.

The Council bylaws, the rules of procedure have foreseen this situation. We have a process in place. We have someone who can take over for an interim period. Hopefully two - soon two people to take over for an interim period so we have equal representation of both houses at this important position.

And we will have an election at a time to be determined in the future. Hopefully pretty soon. We will have old or new candidates, who will stand for that election. And the Council work will not be impacted by this in any form or shape. If anybody has a different impression or would like to add to that. Heather.

Heather Forrest: Thanks Volker. Heather Forrest. I would like to endorse the business as usual perspective on things. I think (James) and I ended up as - in the uncomfortable position that we're in and I personally support business as usual. I'm sorry we are where we are but let's move forward. Yesterday is yesterday and let's get down to business.

Volker Greimann: Thank you. Phil.

Phil Corwin: Yes. I don't - other than repeating what has just been said in this room that we're continuing to function and clearly we have procedures to follow to resolve this expeditiously; that it serves us in any way to issue a more detailed statement. In the last hour I've already received an email from one industry during the list. I'm not planning to respond to that person.

I think any statement just feeds those people and they're looking sometimes to publish sensational stories that would just make it harder to resolve things internally. So I think we're best focused on doing our business and picking leaders as soon as possible and not debating what to put out in press statements.

Volker Greimann: I would agree to that. Of course any one Councilor, any one constituency is free to comment on this on their own to give their own impression. But as a Council I would say we do not comment on this. We just show that we're working, that we have procedures in place, that this is not unforeseen and that we're moving ahead as planned. Tony.

Tony Harris: Tony Harris for the ASPs. We agree with this position, business as usual. This has happened in the past and we worked through it.

Volker Greimann: I think it's unprecedented but not unforeseen. We did not have a...

Tony Harris: I'm talking about elections that had a lot of turmoil and...

Volker Greimann: Yes.

Tony Harris: ...successive stages. Probably not exactly similar but let's say within the family.

Volker Greimann: Yes. Agreed. Paul.

Paul McGrady: Paul McGrady. Agree with the business as usual. You know, this is the GNSO Council. It's not General Motors. And if we're lacking for lack of a better word our CEO for a few weeks, we'll all be fine. This meeting is an example of the functionality of the Council and the absence of a Chair.

The Chair is supposed to be a neutral administrator that keeps us, you know, the trains moving on time. And so we'll get there. Right. And so I think that sending a signal to the contrary is inconsistent with what actually happened around the table today. It was a lovely meeting.

Volker Greimann: Thank you very much. I take that as a (unintelligible) compliment. Any other comments? Any other business? Then I hereby close - declare this session closed. We have process successfully wrapped up an eventful week. I will enjoy seeing most of you at the dinner tonight.

Again, let's see - bring the slide up. Tonight at 8:00 at the (Woolen Mills). That's (Woolen Mills). So tonight at 8:00. I'm looking forward to seeing you all there. And then tomorrow at 9:30 at Liffey in Meeting Room 2, a closed

Council session for incoming and outgoing Councilors. Let's develop the (hell out of this thing).

(James): (James), the question was do we have transportation to the dinner? Is everyone getting there on their own? Thank you.

Volker Greimann: There is no transportation because there is so much time between now and the event that we figured that everybody is at the hotel or most of them are in the same but still it's not that far away from here. So everybody would be able to make their own way. It would just be too difficult to plan it in a way that - it's walking distance.

((Crosstalk))

Volker Greimann: Perfect. Well, you're free to go. Enjoy public forum.

END