

**Transcription ICANN Dublin  
Saturday 17 October 2015  
Standing Committee on GNSO Improvements Implementation Meeting**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

On page: <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#oct>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page

Anne Aikman-Scalese: This is the GNSO Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation. The chair forgot to mute her computer. Very embarrassing. Okay, now we're good. So we'll begin I guess with our staff doing the roll call and...

Julie Hedlund: I think we should probably ask people to go around...

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Oh good, okay. So good idea Julie's had that we'll go around the room and say who we are and what our interests represented is and if you're primary or alternates, would appreciate it, thank you. Hey, David. Avri.

Avri Doria: Yeah, Avri Doria and CSG primary. And until later this week liaison to this group from the Council.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Thank you.

Stephanie Perrin: Stephanie Perrin, NCSG, NCUC and I'm a counselor.

Sam Lanfranco: Sam Lanfranco, NCSG, NPOC.

Lori Schulman: Lori Schulman, IPC.

Wolf-Ulrich Knochen: Wolf-Ulrich Knochen, ISPCP.

Klaus Stoll: Klaus Stoll, NCSG, NPOC.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Great. Anne Aikman-Scalese and chair and I'm from the IPC.  
Primary, thank you.

Julie Hedlund: Julie Hedlund, ICANN staff.

Rudi Vansnick: Rudi Vansnick, NCSG NPOC primary and vice chair.

Mary Wong: Mary Wong, ICANN staff.

David Cake: David Cake, NCUC secondary.

Amr Elsadr: Amr Elsadr, NCUC primary.

Sara Bockey: Sara Bockey, GNSO Registrar alternative.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Okay, thank you everyone. And at this time I'd like to ask if there are any updates to statements of interest that are already on file. First, does everyone here have a current SOI on file? Yeah, I'm getting a lot of nods, yeses. Mary.

Mary Wong: And just to note that there's a few participants in the Adobe Connect chat room as well.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Okay, are any of them SCI members who should be introducing themselves?

Mary Wong: I don't believe so but we have a guest, someone who's signed in as (P) and a (Fiduci Mada) so welcome to all of them for the SCI meeting.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Great, thank you, Mary. Appreciate you pointing that out. And are there any updates to any statements of interest? If so let us know now. And if not we'll proceed with our agenda. Seeing none we'll take up the first item on the agenda. I just wanted to review with everyone the slides we'll be presenting to GNSO Council this morning regarding our work thus far.

And we will be reporting to them our conclusions with respect to the interplay between the 10-day waiver rule and the resubmission of motions. In other words - and you can advance please, Julie. When we reviewed that as a group, SCI determined that the 10-day waiver does not apply to resubmitted motions. And thank you for staff confirmation of that based on how our operating procedures are current drafted.

Also we concluded that we were reluctant to recommend a change to the current operating procedures given that there's no instance of a problem that has occurred. But of course SCI is willing to look at the issue again if a problem arises and a clarification is required. So basically we're saying we don't think we need to do anything. And that's our conclusion.

And then the next topic that we were asked by Council to look at, if you can advance the slide again Julie? Is related to friendly amendments. And the first part of our task from Council was to quote, codify or as I would put it, document it the existing procedures, which are not at this point written, I understand.

And to secondly, take a look at those procedures and whether any improvements might need to be made to that. But for the first part we have with a great deal of help from staff and a couple of you who commented on the draft, and we do thank Mary for her work and documenting the existing procedures, and then those of you commented based on your experience on

Council, we submitted to Council I think on the 11th, a summary of those existing procedures for friendly amendments and with that a cover letter simply asking them to confirm that our draft procedure does reflect the actual current procedure on friendly amendments.

So and then the last thing that we will be talking about briefly with Council is primarily the point of the next slide is to thank Avri for her service as Council liaison for SCI and special thanks to her and appreciate all her work thus far, and her active involvement. And that's the total report which should be very short. We don't know if Avri will be able to be present for the report. She may be working in accountability, so thank you for that as well.

And then if we can move on. Any questions regarding this report or comments? Seeing none let's proceed to the second - oh I'm sorry, Wolf-Ulrich.

Wolf-Ulrich Knobens: Sorry, Wolf-Ulrich Knobens speaking. So maybe it's okay or it was covered so I can't remember, do we have some points for the future which you have on the slide here as well for ongoing work or something which we should mention to the Council?

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Thanks, Wolf-Ulrich. I think the next task is contained in the bullet points that Julie has switched back to in relation to future work with respect to friendly amendments. Because once - the idea would be that when we get confirmation of the existing procedures that we would either be working on simply codifying those for the operating procedures or else would be, you know, having discussion about whether any of them need to be improved.

And thank you for asking the question, I think it leads us right into our next agenda item. And that would be whether we want to, in this meeting, talk about the friendly amendment procedures at all or whether we want to wait until after Council confirms to us that we've correctly documented the existing procedures.

So if there's any discussion on that point I'd like to raise that now. I guess my personal predilection would be that we wait until Council confirms that we have the procedures correctly documented and begin the discussion on substance of the friendly amendment procedures or codifying the friendly amendment procedures after Council has confirmed to us that we have it correctly written down. But I'd like to see what thoughts others have on that topic. Yes, Amr.

Amr Elsadr: Yeah, I'm fine either way I guess. I don't think it would hurt to wait for Council to confirm that procedures we documented are accurate. We could ask them to provide input in case we did miss anything. I don't think we did. But in the event that someone does point out something that we are not - that we did miss then it'll be all right I guess.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Okay thank you. Any other thoughts on whether we proceed to that discussion on substance of the friendly amendment procedures now or wait until Council confirms that we've accurately documented those? Yes, Avri.

Avri Doria: I should apologize for this, I don't actually remember the answer. Have they asked us to change them? So why are we thinking of changing them? I mean, is that something that perhaps we should be asking whether now that they're documented and they've understood the document is there a need to change them?

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Yes and, Mary, could you please describe the second part of the task in relation to friendly amendments?

Mary Wong: Sure. And I think this is because the request was quite specific from the Council. So the first part of the request was what's just been done by this group, which is to document what is the customary practice now. But that the next step would be for the SCI to consider whether or not there should be

changes and if the SCI believe that there should be to recommend what those changes might be.

So the SCI could still say actually the current practice works pretty well as documented, here it is and we're not recommending any changes. So we still have to conduct that second step in the SCI. Whether to recommend any changes or not because that's what the Council asked.

Avri Doria: Some of them, but yeah. They should have first read what was there and then decided whether they felt there was a need for any change before. But, okay.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Well I guess it's a question that's procedural in nature and if for those who are present in the GNSO Council meeting in Buenos Aires I suppose perhaps there's some need for a discussion based on - but we shall see. Mary.

Mary Wong: And just to follow up on that I suppose there's nothing to prevent the Council from talking about it. And in fact just to note - I'm sorry, this is Mary for the transcript - from staff - that it - I believe it is an item for the Council meeting this Wednesday. So presumably that would be the opportunity for the Council if it wishes to update its request if it wanted to.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Oh great. Well thank you very much, Mary. Do you happen to know what time that is on the Council agenda? Or could you update us later on the SCI list as to the timing for that discussion? It'd be helpful maybe as many as possible could attend that discussion just so we know exactly where Council is coming from. I have to leave the meeting on Wednesday so it's unlikely I would personally be able to attend but maybe Rudi could attend. Thank you.

So next agenda item if we're all ready to move on is I think simply a note that we will be considering for next year who might be chairing, who might be vice

chair. And this is actually triggered in December so it's not something I'm asking anyone to, you know, state an interest right now. In December the SCI raises this topic. I'll be raising the topic with Rudi as to whether he would like to step into the chair position for 2016. And I just wanted to alert folks that that discussion will come up and so that you can all be thinking about it. So I don't know if there's any further discussion on that point or not.

Yes, Avri.

Avri Doria: Sorry to ask a question. I'm feeling very dumb this morning. That's done after every SG and C reaffirms its primaries and secondary's for the new year? In other words, does that step happen first before, you know, having nothing to do whether it's Rudi or someone else. But just is - does that step happen after the sort of renewal of roles?

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Very good question, Avri. I'd have to look to staff for that. Julie.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie Hedlund for the transcript. The procedures are silent on that. It does - the procedures do of course say that - or I should say the charter does say that, you know, that there will be representatives from each of the stakeholder groups and Cs.

But it doesn't put the - it doesn't say that the election takes place after a, you know, particular reaffirmation or a commitment from the representatives, it simply says under chair and vice chair elections in the charter, "In December of each year the SCI will ask for volunteers from its primary members to serve as chair and vice chair. If the current chair or vice chair is not term limited and wishes to continue for the second year and there are no other volunteers, no election is held. If there is more than one volunteer for either position..." and then it goes through the procedure for election.

And just the section above that does say the members of the Standing Committee, primary and alternate members, one representative from each

constituency, SG, one Nominating Committee appointee and talk about, you know, members of the Standing Committee designating an alternate who can participate, etcetera. But there's no connection between the two.

Avri Doria: This is Avri again. It might be worth going to the - not that they have to - I'm asking this selfishly obviously because, you know, I got to get NCSG to replace me as a primary member. But - and I think I've actually found the victim. But, you know, going to all the SGs and Cs and just asking them to reconfirm their participants before that so that, you know.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Yes, thank you Avri. I think that's a good point. And now I'm quite happy that we put this on the agenda for today because it would be nice if folks could get those confirmations prior to December then it won't, you know, be any kind of barrier. So, you know, please follow up as appropriate. Amr.

Amr Elsadr: Thanks. This is Amr. Yeah, I think the last group within the GNSO that still needs to actually hold its elections for this year is the NCUC. And those will take place in November. So - which is next month. So we will have a new Executive Committee and a new chair because our current chair is term limited. And the NCUC may in fact appoint a new team representing them on the SCI. So, yeah, it might not be a bad idea to wait until we do have those confirmations from each group before the elections are held since we are going to be voting for the chair for the next year. Thanks.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Right. Very good point. And for all I know that may be the reason that our charter says that all of this occurs in December so maybe it all fits together. But do - keep those factors in mind. Thanks for the discussion. And we can move on to any other business. Oh sorry, Wolf-Ulrich.

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben: Wolf-Ulrich Knoben speaking. Well just for the procedure how - I understand you would like to getting confirmation by the constituency - all constituencies with regard to their members here in the SCI. So how to do that. So I would like to suggest that you - not just put it into the minutes here



right now because, you know, several of the constituencies are not represented here. But send a letter or an email to the chairs of those constituencies asking them. That would be helpful. Thanks.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Great. Thank you very much. I think that's a very good idea. And could we ask staff to send that letter - can that be done through staff? I'm happy to sign it but...

Julie Hedlund: Yeah, this is Julie Hedlund from staff. We can certainly do this as a letter or we could simply craft an email for you to send to each of the - I think it doesn't need to be as formal as a letter.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Sure. That'll work. I see Wolf-Ulrich nodding his head yes, agreeing with that procedure. So looking around the room it looks like we're in agreement on that. And that's a good way to go in - I would say at least by the late October, early November. And perhaps we should ask for a response by a certain date. I don't know, Amr, when the elections are that you are referring to? We would want to be inclusive of that date obviously.

Amr Elsadr: Yeah, this is Amr. Well I'll confirm the exact dates and send a note to the list.

((Crosstalk))

Anne Aikman-Scalese: Okay.

Amr Elsadr: ...when they will be held.

Anne Aikman-Scalese: And then we can specify hopefully a deadline or two weeks after that potentially to let SCI know. Great so now can we move on to any other business? Perfect. Does anyone have any other business? Yes, Rudi.

Rudi Vansnick: Rudi for the record. Maybe knowing what is going to be our agenda for the rest of the year when do we have our next calls if there is any?

Anne Aikman-Scalèse: Another very good question. I think that if we proceed on the basis that we will be working from the point where Council confirms that we've accurately documented the existing procedures for friendly amendment that we would be calling a meeting very shortly after Council responds. I'm not sure exactly where this will be on their priority list, whether they consider it in a session here or later on in a call.

And I think that we don't mercenarily have any work to do per se until they confirm that to us. Does that comport with your understanding of where we are? He's nodding yes. So any other comments in that regard with respect to scheduling of calls? So we'll wait to hear from Council then to begin our work on friendly amendments - second part, excuse me, second part of our work on friendly amendments.

And if that's it then I guess we'll take a motion to adjourn. And thank you everyone, it's great to see everyone in person. Really appreciate the opportunity to see these smiling faces. Have a wonderful meeting. Thank you.

END